A veteran television host, media personality, and author, Shannon LaNier has been keeping audiences tuned in his entire life.
Shannon currently co-hosts "Arise Entertainment 360," a daily culture and entertainment series that airs on BET's sister station, Centric, and cable providers globally. "Arise 360" is part of Arise News, a network seen in over 175 million homes in more than 50 countries throughout the world, including Europe, the Middle East and Africa. LaNier can also be seen as a correspondent on Black Enterprise Magazine's nationally-syndicated shows: "Black Enterprise Business Report" & "Our World With Black Enterprise."
As a teenager in Cincinnati, Shannon got his first television job on "Real Exchange," an Emmy Award winning talk show focusing on issues important to young people. After graduating from Kent State University, he made his New York City debut as a segment producer for the CBS2 Morning Show. But he didn't waste any time getting in front of the camera. His next job saw him take on the One-Man-Band role of journalist, writer, director, editor, videographer, and producer of News 12 Networks. Soon thereafter, he took a similarly comprehensive role at Fios1 News.
Shannon is also a writer, having co-authored the Random House Inc. book Jefferson's Children: The Story of One American Family along with photojournalist Jane Feldman. The book follows his journey to uncover the history behind his heritage as a 9th generation direct descendent of Thomas Jefferson and slave Sally Hemings. Jefferson's Children received a Best Books Award by the American Library Association.
Additionally, Shannon has inspired audiences across the globe with captivating speaking engagements that touch on everything from his presidential lineage to his career in media. Most recently, he participated in the White House's National Entrepreneurship Tour, bringing his signature brand of motivational humor to packed live audiences around the country.
Gifted with undeniable charisma and an energy that electrifies the stage, Shannon truly comes alive in the spotlight. Whether he's hosting a TV show, speaking to a packed auditorium, or emceeing an event—this is one Renaissance man who can't help but draw a crowd. A former executive at CBS said it best: "Once Shannon's "on," the audience is glued. He's born to be a star."
Despite his full schedule, Shannon remains an active member of his church, the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., and the National Association of Black Journalists. He currently lives in NYC with his wife/college sweetheart Chandra and their two daughters.
International TV Show Host Arise -TV, NYC (2013-Present)
- Host: live daily 1 hour entertainment show
- Create & produce segments
National TV Correspondent & Sr. Producer: Black Enterprise -TV, NYC (2007-2013)
- Correspondent: Entrepreneur Of The Week segment
- Web Personality: celebrity interviews & general assignment
- Help create and coordinate every aspect of two nationally syndicated TV shows,
- "Our World with Black Enterprise"
- "Black Enterprise Business Report"
Host: White House National Entrepreneurship Tour (2011-2012)
- Game show host responsible for making the contest entertaining, interesting, and informative, for live audiences of up to 3000 people
Reporter: Fios 1 News NYC (2009-2010)
- One-Man-Band journalist, writer, director, editor videographer, & producer of local TV news
Producer: CBS2 Morning Show (2004-2007)
- Wrote and produced studio and field segments
- Booked show guest
- Developed show and segment ideas
Educate and Teach
Kent State University
- Master of Arts
- Major: Media Management
- Bachelor of Science
- Major: Electronic Media Production
- Instructor, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio (2002-2003)
- Taught students to create, produce, direct, write, edit and operate a TV studio and computerized control room
- Produced weekly entertainment/news show
- Final Cut Editing
- Int'l Radio & Television Society
- National Assoc. of Black Journalist
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.
- Honoree, JET Magazine 40 Under 40
- Honoree, Network Journal
40 Under 40
- Scholar, Shared Journeys:
Multiculturalism in Europe
- Scholar, Ronald E. McNair Scholars
- Host, Emmy Award Winning TV Show "Real Exchange"
Co-Author, JEFFERSON'S CHILDREN; The Story of One American Family - Random House